Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Looking For Something New

Since coming to Connecticut a few years ago I have enjoyed going to different activities with the hopes of finding something different, something I haven't seen before.  I like the craft shows best, and just love to watch people making things by hand.  They all seem so happy and can't wait to tell you about what they do, how they do it and what got them started, as if they want you to do it, too.  It doesn't matter if these events are held at the Fairgrounds, on the Greens, in the church basement, at the High School gym, at a Flea market or even a tag sale.  If it's possible that I might find something that I haven't seen before, I'll be there.  I'm drawn to them.

Going to these events shows me how others live.  What they enjoy, what interests them.  I like hearing about how they developed an idea into something to sell, or seeing them make something from nothing.  It's an interesting process.  There is an enjoyment that comes from creating something.  Not only are they rewarded with the good feeling of accomplishing and completing the challenge of producing a handicrafted item, but they also get paid for it.  It is my belief that many talented artists who do what they love, would do it even if they weren't rewarded with money.  They would do it for themselves.  To me this is a great form of therapy.  It's important to like what you are doing.  It helps us feel good about ourselves when those creative jucies are flowing.  We need to feel productive.  We need a purpose.  To many, making something gives them that purpose.

Some people cling to the past.  Examples of this would be in the appreciation and collection of antiques or old tools, dolls and even old egg beaters.  I'm a clinger. I love old stuff.  The best clingers of all are those Revolutionary War re-enactments.  The way they dress, the way they talk,  camping out on these 'battle-fields" and cooking their food like the folks did back in the 1700's.  And the battles, why didn't these soldiers duck, I mean they just stand there, in a line, waiting to get shot!  Geeze.  I'd like to think it was pride, you know, with all the flag waving, the drums banging and bugles blaring, but I'm glad to see that style of fighting left in the past.

I find it interesting that some homes and barns today are made using post and beam methods, the same way houses were constructed hundreds of years ago.  People -- many people -- like doing things the old fashioned way.  It shows in their crafts and their products.  The candle makers, the wood carvers, the soap makers, the weavers, potters, handmade clothiers, glass blowers, handmade jewelry designers, bee keepers, the list goes on and on.  These are old traditions, yet something new emerges every time without fail.  As long as this newness continues, I will always be looking for that something new.

Jimmy Halloran is Co-Owner of ConnecticutHandiworks.com, an online retailer featuring handcrafted items made in Connecticut.


jimmy130@live.com  /  860.942.7571  / 
PO Box 26 Hampton, CT.
  06247


   

No comments: