Sunday, January 16, 2011

What's in a Name?

Connecticut, a Native American word, means "beside the long river," and here I thought it was another name transplanted from a town in England where so many of our towns have gotten their names.

I also thought Connecticut was the Nutmeg State.  Wrong again.  My license plates say we are now the Constitution State.  This change occured in 1959 when the General Assembly felt the need for a new image, I guess.  What the heck is a nutmeg, anyway?  Well, it's a seed from several species of trees, namely the Myristica fragrans, and is the source for two different spices, nutmeg and mace.  What's strange here is that these trees are indigenous to places like Indonesia, Malaysia, the Caribbean, India and New Guinea and some other warm climate countries.  How these trees survive the cold harsh winters of Connecticut is beyond me!

Getting back to this State name business.  These aren't the only names our State has been given.  During the Revolutionary War, Connecticut supplied most of the food and cannons for the Continenal Army, earning the name Provisional State.  Then, according to A Dictionary Of Americanisms On Historical Principles, Connecticut was known as "The Land Of Steady Habits," alluding to the strict morals of its inhabitants.  Officially, there is no one name adopted by the State for its residents.

What name should be next?  It may sound like I have a bias here, but I propose that we go with the "Handiworks State" for a new name.  We could have a choice for the State song like "If I had A Hammer," or "I Want To Be A Billionaire So Freakin' Bad."  And the State bird?  No doubt it's the Guina Hen because of their survival instincts.  Plus, they make me laugh by finding companionship in their reflection of my chrome truck bumpers.  All in favor...

Jimmy Halloran is Co-Owner of ConnecticutHandiworks.com, an online retailer featuring handcrafted items made in Connecticut.


jimmy130@live.com  /  860.942.7571  / 
PO Box 26 Hampton, CT.
  06247

No comments: