Sunday, January 30, 2011

How Much Do You Know About Sewing?

Let's start at the source, when and where it all started.

Archaeologists believe that stone age people across Europe and Asia sewed skins and furs, or grasses and leaves together, making clothing. They used ivory, bone, and antler needles with thread made from various body parts taken from animals.

Did you know that in the Middle East during the Neolitic period, (aka the New Stone age between 10,700-9,400 BC), brought forth the first textiles. This material was defined as felt or spun fibers made into yarn and woven to make fabrics.

The sewing machine dates back to as early as 1755 when Charles Weisenthal applied for a patent, and Isaac Singer introduced his home use version in 1851.

The saftey pin was invented by Walter Hunt around 1849.

Chinese archaeologists reported finding a complete sewing set, including a thimble, dating back to 202 BC.

Scissors can be traced back to around 260 BC according to Archimedes. However, scissors made from one piece of metal were found in ancient Egyptian ruins dating back to 1500 BC. Modern cross blade scissors were invented in Rome around 100 AD. In the end, Leonardo da Vinci is credited with the invention of scissors, since he used them to cut his canvases.

The oldest known bone sewing needle was found in France and is known to be over 25,000 years old. Sewing needles made from silver, bronze and copper were used in ancient Egypt.

The Native American Indians were known to use the pointed end of agave leaves and porcupine quills for sewing needles, and agave leaf fibers were used for thread.

The year 1850 brought the needle-making machine, and by 1866 England was producing 100 million needles a year.

I guess before all of the above happened, we all ran around naked!

And the last little tidbit that you should know, is that those people who collect thimbles are known as digitabulists...

As I review my writings I notice that today's clothiers, seamstresses if you will, are all women, but yet the tailors are mostly men. I remember my grandfather sewing. He spent time at sea as a ship captain and had a lot of time on his hands, like most sailors. They passed time by making things and he used to macrame shade pulls and key chains. I remember that he made a white belt for me, all hand woven cord. I also recall his teaching me as a young boy how to thread a needle. That was fun at the time but sure helps later in life, especially when I pop a button.

I've had some experience at sewing and tried my luck at making pants.  Yeah, I bought the patterns, selected the materials, cut and sewed the pieces. Alas, they all wound up having to be draw-string pants since I couldn't master the art of attaching a zipper to them. I called them my "Plan B" pants. We all have our limitations and this was one of mine.

Jimmy Halloran is Co-Owner of ConnecticutHandiworks.com, an online retailer featuring handcrafted items made in Connecticut.

jimmy130@live.com  /  860.942.7571  / 
PO Box 26 Hampton, CT.
  06247

No comments: